Sister Mary Esther Steckler, 93, of the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand was called to her eternal rest on July 9 at the Hildegard Health Center in Ferdinand, Indiana.
Sr. Steckler was born on January 23, 1921 to Henry and Josephine (Angermeier) Steckler.
She entered the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand in 1936 and made her profession of monastic vows in 1938.
In 1968, she was sent to minister in California, where she served in schools as a teacher, principal, guidance counselor and librarian. She served as Principal of St. Mary Regional School in Apple Valley and was a long time administrator at Aquinas High School. Her community reincorporated itself as the Sisters of St. Benedict of Riverside in 1969 and thus became the only religious community ever to originate in the Diocese of San Bernardino. The Sisters built Holy Spirit Monastery in Grand Terrace in 1987 where Sr. Steckler was active as director of formation, treasurer and prioress.
In 2012, she transferred back to the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand where she served most recently in the ministry of prayer.
The funeral Mass was on Saturday, July 12 in the monastery church.