27
Sat, May

By Peter Bradley

 For a new outreach ministry in a parish, the story of Martha’s Village is both inspirational and encouraging. 

 In 1990, a dedicated group of parishioners from Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in Indio began serving 30 hot meals a week to people in need from the local area. As the years went on, new programs and services were added. A partnership with Father Joe’s Village and St. Vincent de Paul from San Diego brought new support and possibilities.

Read more: A Mustard Seed in the Desert

By Peter Bradley

 In 1966, the Oblates of Santa Marta, O.S.M. began working at El Carmelo Retreat House in Redlands.

 This religious community founded in Sottilo, Mexico in 1949 was already present in the United States working in the Diocese of Tucson.

Read more: OSM Sisters dedicated to the spirituality of the priesthood

By Peter Bradley

 In the mid 1980’s, the leadership of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, under the direction of Father Michael Barry, SS.CC., was challenged by the example and teachings of Jesus to reach out to the poor in their local communities. The initial effort was a soup kitchen at the former Our Lady of Fatima Parish in San Bernardino.

Read more: Mary’s Mercy Center serves Christ in the person of poor and needy

By Peter Bradley

 For the last 35 years, Catholic Charities San Bernardino-Riverside has provided critical basic needs assistance and transformative social services for families in crisis in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

Read more: Catholic Charities offers help and hope to families in need