18
Tue, Dec

Bishop Fulton Sheen at El Carmelo Retreat House in Redlands

 El Carmelo Retreat House has an interesting history. As in Father Enda Somers’ words of many years ago, the purpose of the foundation of El Carmelo was “the Carmelites wanted to do something for people in every walk of life.

Read more: A Place for Silence and Prayer

 Fifty years before the founding of the Diocese of San Bernardino, Catholic social teaching was already well established in San Bernardino. In 1928, Father Patrick Dunne from St. Bernardine Catholic Church and local surgeon Dr. Philip Savage had convinced the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to fill a much needed gap in the city, and St. Bernardine Medical Center opened its doors in 1931.

Read more: St. Bernardine hospital and the Diocese share a legacy of serving the underserved

 Mary’s Mercy Center is a long time benefactor and partner of the Diocese. In 1987, members of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal Center, under the direction of Father Michael Barry, began to reach out and serve the poor in the local communities, working first in local parks with supplies of food, and helping with utility bills.

Read more: Mary’s Mercy Center: A legacy of bringing God’s blessings to the poor and disenfranchised

More Articles ...

Page 2 of 4